Museum on Van Hoosen Farm Reopens with New Roof, New Exhibits

Museum on Van Hoosen Farm Reopens with New Roof, New Exhibits

(City of Rochester Hills, Aug. 6, 2021)

Rochester Hills, MI – Community supporters came together to celebrate the grand reopening of the Rochester Hills Museum on Van Hoosen Farm. The Museum is now open to the public Fridays and Saturdays from noon until 3:00 p.m. Guided tours of the Farmhouse and Red House will be available at 1:00 p.m. Admission is free for members and is $5.00 for non-members. Students and seniors that would like to visit receive a $2.00 discount.

The Dairy Barn closed in 2019 so that the almost 100 year old roof truss structures could be removed and replaced. Now, not only is the barn welcoming visitors, they can see brand new exhibits. The main exhibit in the barn, titled Pioneer Family – On Van Hoosen Farm, tells the story of the strong women leaders of the family. The family was not only a pioneer in the geographical sense, they were also pioneers in the world of medicine, science, and agriculture. Guests will also see other exhibits featuring mastodon bones, Stoney Creek Village, how the Museum started, and the Anishinabek Homeland.

During the rebuild of the roof, the Museum renovated the 1927 Bull Barn and 1911 Milk House so that it could be available for public touring for the first time. Both spaces will serve as a venue to teach agricultural history.

In addition, the Equipment Barn on the farm was rebuilt. It highlights local history items and farm equipment that interprets science, engineering, technology and math. Originally built in 1912, the equipment barn was once an integral part of the Van Hoosen Farm operation.

“Investing in our historic infrastructure is a priority for Rochester Hills,” states Mayor Bryan K. Barnett. “Our community’s history and its significance is ingrained in our culture. Forever kept and held here, at this special place.”

The Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm is owned and operated by the City of Rochester Hills.  It is a 16-acre campus of buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was established in 1979.  For more information, visit www.rochesterhills.org/museum.

About the author

Oakland County Times has written 13961 articles for Oakland County Times

Contact editor@oc115.com for any questions or story ideas! Please support this work by becoming an advertising sponsor or by chipping in through the PayPal button on the right side of the page.

Comments are closed.