Fire at Clawson Manor Quickly Extinguished
(Kevin Elliott, March 6, 2021)
CLAWSON —A fire in Clawson’s tallest building – a high rise with senior residents – was quickly contained and extinguished Saturday morning.
Firefighters were dispatched at 8:36 a.m. for a fire on the fifth floor of Clawson Manor, 255 W. 14 Mile, an independent living complex for people over 62 years of age. The 15-story building is the tallest in the city of Clawson.
Clawson Fire Department Chief Troy Engel said the fire was extinguished about 20 minutes after firefighters got on scene.
“It started on the fifth floor, but fire licked the windows of the sixth floor and it spread. It started in one room and spread to another,” he said. “There were no injuries. Nobody was hurt.
“The building has good construction with brick and mortar so the fire can’t travel. It’s very safe.”
The cause of the fire wasn’t immediately known.
Paramedics and police from Troy assisted Clawson firefighters and police, as well as EMTs from Alliance Mobile Health.
Engel said residents were evacuated from the fifth and sixth floors, with some self-evacuating from the seventh and third floors. Most residents were able to shelter in place, while some were temporarily moved to the attached senior center. Others went to their vehicles or gathered outside in the near freezing cold. The back parking lot of complex served a staging ground for paramedics and seniors who needed assistance.
“All are now sheltering in place,” Engel said about 9:45 a.m. “We should be putting them back in place soon.”