Troy Firefighters Stop Spread of Fire in Ceiling of Paint Supply Warehouse
(Troy Fire Dept, May 15, 2020)
Troy, MI – Troy Dispatch received a call at 5:33 am on Thursday, May 14, 2020 reporting an odor and smoke in the warehouse, at 1965 Barrett. This address is home to a statewide road painting contractor. When firefighters arrived, they reported a haze of smoke inside of a large, one-story warehouse. Employees reported the odor of smoke had been present for about the past 36 hours, but the haze had appeared when they arrived for work that morning.
Upon fire units’ arrival, there were no occupants inside the warehouse. No flames or obvious sign of fire, other than the haze of smoke, were present at this time. Firefighters conducted a systematic search of the building to locate the source of the haze. After approximately an hour, firefighters located an area above the ceiling where some wooden trusses had come in contact with electrical wiring, causing the wood to smolder. Firefighters extinguished several small fires within the insulated ceiling space. Electrical power was disconnected to the area and the occupant was advised to have an electrician investigate and make repairs.
The Troy Building Department was also notified and occupancy of the building is being restricted until repairs can be made. Damage estimates are incomplete at this time. The rest of the business was not affected by the fire. No injuries or fatalities were reported.
No further details are available at this time.
NOTE: Police Reports come directly from the Police Department or agency involved and are written by the person or agency listed below the title. We generally run these “as is” or with minimal editing for punctuation, spelling, etc. Suspects should not be presumed guilty. Those needing more information about a case are encouraged to follow up with the reporting agency or court system for the most current information.