(Crystal A. Proxmire, Dec. 11, 2017)
Troy, MI – A fire in a garage in the 2300 block of London in Troy was confined thanks to the quick response of the Troy Fire Department on Dec. 7. Fire Chief Chuck Riesterer shared info on the fire:
“The Troy Fire Department received multiple calls reporting a fire at this location. Upon arrival, firefighters reported a working fire in the attached garage of this medium sized, 2-story residence. Smoke & Fire were visible upon arrival. The home owner met with firefighters and reported that no occupants were inside the home.
“Firefighters began to attack the fire from the exterior, while a crew was assigned to conduct a primary search inside the residence and check for fire extension. Ventilation of the structure was also initiated. All occupants were confirmed out of the home. The fire was knocked down before it breached the house, aside from the laundry room next to the garage. Firefighters next began overhaul operations, and extinguishing pockets of fire in the garage.
“Fire damage was mostly contained to the garage, while some smoke & water damage occurred inside a portion of the first floor of the home. At the time of this release, fire investigators have determined the fire started outside of the garage, where the occupants store their trash cans. Among the items that were disposed in these containers, there were most likely ashes from the fire place. All residents are reminded that ashes from the fire place should only be disposed into a metal can with a metal lid.
“Damage estimates are incomplete. A neighboring house to the west suffered heat damage, melting the vinyl siding.
“The occupants are unable to return to the home until the building official has the opportunity to determine the home’s condition.”
There were no injuries or fatalities.
Want to keep up on the latest news? Sign up for Daily Headlines.