5 things I learned from Life You Want – Detroit
(Teri Williams, The Bliss Lady, Sept. 17, 2014)
Covering Oprah’s “Life You Want Tour – Detroit” for Soulful Living on Empower Radio and Simple Steps Real Change Magazine was an incredible honor. People from all over the country came to The Palace of Auburn Hills to hang out with Oprah and her friends in the hopes of learning a little more about living life to the fullest. We had the opportunity to meet people from all over the country including Georgia, Ohio, Virginia, and California. We even connected with OWN President Erik Logan.
On the way in I mentioned to my assistant, aka my daughter, how incredibly detailed the logistics must be to successfully pull off an event of this magnitude – the details are endless. Being the one that’s “always prepared”, I’m glad she was with me when the message, “not enough storage” popped up on my phone. She had my back, like I always have hers.
On top of the “Trailblazers” present: Mark Nepo, Elizabeth Gilbert, Rob Bell, and Iyanla Vanzant, the event included self-work with ways to make the most of your life, on your own terms. Believe me when I say tears were flowing from the moment the lights went out and Oprah took the stage Friday evening until the moment the lights went on and she walked off the stage for the last time Saturday afternoon. Oprah is a force of love and light so strong that her life should be an inspiration to us all.
I am a “soulcial activist”. For years I have practiced, preached and lived much of what was shared during this event. In my practice, nothing prepared me for the moment when my daughter reached over and grabbed my hand, saying, “OMG mom, these are the things you always say to me!”
It doesn’t matter how we “get it” in life, it matters that we do get it.
So, what is it that made such a profound impact on us? Below are five SIMPLE “takeaways” from the Life You Want Tour-Detroit that I think are worth sharing.
- “The energy you put out is responsible for what you get back”. Oprah Winfrey– That’s right, what you give is what you get. It’s really that simple. Each positive, joyful thought is going to bring that much more positivity and joy right back to you – x 1000 I say.
- “Negative thoughts are like humping puppies – get them down!” Iyanla Vanzant – As soon as that negative thought appears, swat it down.You have to practice, YES, re-train your mind to recognize more joy and less pain to be more aware of the good in your life now.
- “The longest journey you will ever take is from your head to your heart” Mark Nepo – Take time to listen daily to what your heart and soul are telling you. Don’t let the voices in your head scare you away from the longings of your heart.
- “It’s better to live your life imperfectly than to live someone else’s life perfectly”. Elizabeth Gilbert – Stop thinking about, and doing what, “you are supposed to do” by everyone else’s standards. Do what your heart and soul are calling you to do.
- “The life you want begins when you embrace the life you have, and the life you have is a miracle – life matters!” Rob Bell – Yes it does! Realize that you and your life matter. Everything about you matters. See it in yourself – see the miracle of you.
Oprah said, “The greatest power is love – show it, receive it, feel it.” Imagine simply beginning to love yourself enough to live the life you want? Miracles happen every day – you’re one of them!
Thanks, Oprah, for shining your light so bright that others can’t help but shine, too! And thanks to your team for helping make it all happen. Everyone matters! Aho…
About Teri Williams: I am a social media nut, author and radio host who also practices energy healing, shamanic teachings and is addicted to chocolate and coffee. I love helping people find and live their bliss. It’s never too late – so choose “bliss” Start with your complimentary Blissness Plan at http://theblissnetwork.com/Blissness_Plan.html.