More Resources for After the Flood

More Resources for After the FloodJim Shaffer KELLER ad black

(Cheryl Weiss , Aug. 22, 2014)

I’m going to list what I found out at the Southfield multi agency resource center here, in no particular order. Please share with your friends and neighbors.
If you need furnace repair and/or your hot water heater repaired/replaced from the flood, the Michigan Department of Human Services can help. You can call 888-642=7434 or go to .
The Red Cross has extensive information on how to clean up after a flood. I asked what they are doing to help, and they said if you had your food pantry in the basement, and lost all your food, they can provide you with food. Or if you had prescription medications in the basement and lost them, they can help you get waterworkthem replaced. If you need emergency shelter or clothing, they can help. They also still have some cleaning materials available if you need them. Otherwise, they will refer you to call 211 for volunteer assistance in cleaning up your basement. You can contact them at or 313-833-4440.
If you are having problems with your insurance (auto or homeowners), the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services may be able to help. You can find information at or call 877-999-6442. I have brochures with the complaint form – let me know if you need one.
OLHSA is a fantastic resource I never knew about ! If you need your basement items removed as soon as possible, and are able to pay a minimal amount, they have a non-profit, low cost chore service. The sidebar016growrepresentative showed me a picture of a house in Oak Park they worked on, with tons of items at the curb (like so many of ours), and they only charged $175, not the thousands for-profit companies are charging us. The chore service is staffed by veterans. Ask for Marie V. The phone number is 248-542-5860 or go to or or email
Not flood-related, but OLHSA also provides many services for a low cost, and some are free. Weekly lawn mowing is available FREE to seniors! Snow removal is available FREE to seniors! You need to be 55 or older to qualify. They will also assist with weatherizing your home FREE! The phone number for the weatherizing is 248-209-2760. If you need other household chores done of any kind, they can do it for a minimal charge.
One more OLHSA program to share. If your refrigerator was manufactured in 2000 or earlier, you can get a NEW one FREE! This is from a settlement with DTE. You must have a current DTE account, own your own home, have a working fridge, and fill out the Self Declaration Form.  You will get one new, white, the same size as your old one. (You will get a basic one, no icemakers or water dispensers on the fridge).

For previous flood related stories and resources, see:




About the author

Oakland County Times has written 14070 articles for Oakland County Times

Contact for any questions or story ideas! Please support this work by becoming an advertising sponsor or by chipping in through the PayPal button on the right side of the page.

Comments are closed.