(press release, June 24, 2013)
The Oakland County Department of Economic Development & Community Affairs, in partnership with the Michigan State University Extension – Oakland, presents the Michigan Citizen Planner Classroom Series in September and October.
Michigan Citizen Planner offers the Fundamentals of Planning and Zoning, a seven-session course leading to a certificate of completion awarded by MSU Extension. The course is for local appointed and elected officials, zoning administrators and interested citizens. Participants who continue with the program can earn the Master Citizen Planner (MCP) credential.
The course will be held on Mondays, beginning Sept. 9 to Oct. 21, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., at the Oakland County Conference Center, 2100 Pontiac Lake Road, west of Telegraph Road, in Waterford. The course is $350 per participant. Register online at www.events.anr.msu.edu by Sept. 2. Payment can be made by credit card, check or invoiced for payment. Group registration is also available online. For information, contact Charlotte Burckhardt, Oakland County Economic Development & Community Affairs, at (248) 858-5443 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructors for the course include MSU Extension educators, planners, attorneys and MSU faculty. Course curriculum is:
1. Introduction to Planning and Zoning: Smart Growth and the New Economy, Conflict of Interest and Planning Resources
2. Legal Foundations of Planning and Zoning: Cases, Statutes and other Planning Authority
3. Roles and Responsibilities, Part I: Master Plan and Planning Process, Sub-Area Plans, and Working with the Public
4. Roles and Responsibilities, Part II: Zoning, Site Plans and Zoning Board of Appeals Process
6. Best Practices for Innovative Planning and Zoning: Green Development, Form-Based Code, Traditional Neighborhood Design and Conservation Design
7. The Art of Community Planning: Participation, Effective Meetings and Managing Conflict
The Oakland County Department of Economic Development & Community Affairs, under the leadership of County Executive L. Brooks Patterson, is committed to promoting economic vitality, supporting distinct communities and conserving environmental resources through knowledge, cooperation and consultation services. For additional information, visit www.AdvantageOakland.com.