(Crystal A. Proxmire, Ferndale 115.com. Feb. 1, 2012 ed.)
The Jan. 9, 2012 Ferndale City Council meeting was packed with those wanting to see their elected officials get sworn in from their victories in November. Mayor Dave Coulter, who had been appointed by City Council for a partial first term when former Mayor Craig Covey was elected to County Commissioner, had his second swearing in by The Honorable Judge Joseph Longo.
Longo also administered the Oath of Office to Councilperson Dan Martin. Incumbent Mike Lennon was sworn in by The Honorable Mary Ellen Brennan, Judge of the Oakland County 6th Circuit Court.
Mayor Coulter then administered the Oath of Office to Library Board Directors Judeen Bartos, Monique Herzig and James O’Donnell. Newly re-elected Directors Tiffani L. Gagne and John Sterritt were unable to attend.
Attendees were also graced with an invocation by Rev. Dr. J. Scott Miller of the Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church, and were led in the Pledge of Allegiance by the Ferndale Cub Scout Pack 1245.
Involved citizen Dennis Hoeppner was among those who stood to give support for the newly elected officials, but he also criticized voters who didn’t get involved. “I stood up here and I pleaded with the citizens of /Ferndale to cast their ballot to vote on Nov. 8, and once again only 14% of the registered voters voted in November,” he said. “But you know what, I believe that 14% got it right. So I say to you, Mayor Dave Coulter and Concil Member Mike Lennon and newly elected Dan Martin, congratulations.”
Council also went through the appointment process for the Boards and Commissions. “In addition to these meetings, just in case you’re wondering, every council member up here is on a number of boards, not just this board but others, and other volunteering. It’s a very busy job. We’re not complaining, we’re happy to do it, but you keep us all very busy.”
The Appointments are listed below. Learn more about Boards and Commissions by checking out the official City of Ferndale website, and also this previous article about how residents and business owners can also get involved.
1. Mayor Pro Tem – Melanie Piana
2. Board of Zoning Appeals – Scott Galloway
5. Construction Board of Appeals – Michael Lennon
6. Employees Retirement System Board of Trustees – Dan Martin
7. Ferndale Public Schools Superintendent Advisory Committee – Scott Galloway
8. Finance Committee – Scott Galloway and Michael Lennon
9. Highway Committee – Mayor Coulter and Michael Lennon
10. Liquor License Review Committee – Scott Galloway
11. Ordinance Committee – Scott Galloway and Michael Lennon
12. Plan Commission – Melanie Piana
13. Police and Fire Retirement System Board of Trustees – Mayor Coulter and Dan Martin
14. Sidewalk Hardship Committee – Mayor Coulter
15. Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) – Melanie Piana