• Share this post on Delicious
  • StumbleUpon this post
  • Share this post on Digg
  • Tweet about this post
  • Share this post on Mixx
  • Share this post on Technorati
  • Share this post on Facebook
  • Share this post on NewsVine
  • Share this post on Reddit
  • Share this post on Google
  • Share this post on LinkedIn

Candles Cause Fire on Rosewood

Candles Cause Fire on Rosewoodlennys copy center

(Fire Marshall Brian Batten, 7/12/2011)

The Ferndale Fire Department responded this morning at 3:20 am to a house fire in the 1000 block of Rosewood.

Upon arrival firefighters were met with flames venting from the living room windows. The fire was quickly extinguished and the sole occupant, a male in his mid twenties escaped unharmed.

The fire was caused by candles left unattended in the living room. The occupant had lit the candles following a power outage in the area. He fell asleep in bed and was awaken by the noise of glass breaking due to fires intensity in the living room. Had he not woke up, only a minute or two later he would have been unable to escape.

The fire caused approximately $40,000 damages and destroyed everything in the living room.

It is important for people to know the dangers of candles, especially when left unattended. Remember if you go, blow – meaning if you leave the room, blow out the candle.

Brian Batten, CFPS
Fire Marshal
Ferndale Fire Department
1635 Livernois
Ferndale, MI 48220


For more stories like this, check out our Police and Fire Section.

About the author

Oakland County Times has written 13234 articles for Oakland County Times

Contact for any questions or story ideas! Please support this work by becoming an advertising sponsor or by chipping in through the PayPal button on the right side of the page.

Comments are closed.