Ferndale Councilman’s Kitchen Damaged by Fire

Ferndale Councilman’s Kitchen Damaged by FireJim Shaffer ad EDITED

(Crystal A. Proxmire, March 23, 2014)

When a fire started in his home Saturday night, Ferndale City Councilperson Mike Lennon was grateful for the city services that he’d long been an advocate for.  The retired Ferndale Policeman and lifelong Ferndale resident contacted the Ferndale Fire Department at about 8 P.M. Saturday night after a grease fire got out of control in his kitchen.

“It started essentialon the stove top due to hot grease. Sue reacted quickly with wet towels but it started to get too large,” Lennon said. “PD and FFD responded after we dialed 911. Excellent response by both departments. That is why I choose to live in Ferndale, so professional and excellent response time. The best around.”

The home on Fox Street was mainly saved, though the kitchen is heavily damaged.  Were it not for the quick response time by the Ferndale Fire Department, he could have lost the entire house.  There were no injuries.  “We lost appliances and half our kitchen but we’re physically unscathed,” he said.

“I would suggest a fire extinguisher in every household along with an agent to combat grease fires,” waterworkLennon advised.

Lennon is not the only elected official to need rescue services firsthand this year.

In January Royal Oak Mayor Jim Ellison and his wife Jodie had a fire in their home due to lint build up in their dryer line.  The fire, which started in the basement, caused severe smoke damage through the house and claimed the life of one of their cats.

“The effects of a fire in your home are devastating,” Ellison said at the time. “Walking through the house and seeing all of our possessions damaged sure tugs at your heartstrings, but the reality is Jodie and I are fine, the pets with the sad exception of our little guy, Paulie are fine. We have heard from countless friends and, neighbors and family offering to help. We are eternally grateful to your expressions of support. We are going to be okay. Let this be a lesson…clean out the vent hose of your dryer…OFTEN!”

About the author

Oakland County Times has written 10666 articles for Oakland County Times

The Oakland County Times started with one city in 2009 and has grown to the community news hub you see today. Contact editor@oc115.com if you have any questions, comments, event listings, etc. Please support this work by becoming an advertising sponsor or check out our online community garden. Also happy to hear tips and story ideas.

Comments are closed.